As you age, your likelihood of experiencing arthritis in the hands, fingers, and knuckles becomes high. This makes it hard for you to carry out day-to-day tasks, especially in your kitchen.
And if you frequently use canned food in your recipes, opening the cans can even become a real pain.
However, arthritis doesn’t need to stop you from frequently cooking your favorite food using canned ingredients. This is because there are so many devices available to make life easier for individuals with hand mobility.
One of these devices is an electric can opener. This device makes opening cans:
- Safer by preventing jagged edges
- While also reducing splashing and seepage
Now because there is quite a good number to choose from, we have selected some of the very best models available. So keep scrolling to shop for the best electric can opener for arthritis.
Table of Contents
- Top Electric Can Openers for Arthritis – Comparison Table
- 13 Best Electric Can Opener for Arthritis Reviewed
- 1. Cuisinart CCO-50BKN Deluxe
- 2. Hamilton Beach 76606ZA Smooth Touch
- 3. Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener
- 4. Black+Decker Spacemaker CO100B
- 5. Hamilton Beach 76388R Can Opener
- 6. Oster 003147-000-000 003147-000-002 Can Opener
- 7. Yuchel Electric Can Opener
- 8. Bangrui Kitchen Automatic Can Opener
- 9. Cuisinart CCO-50N Deluxe
- 10. Kitchen Mama Mini Can Opener
- 11. Kitchenmuh Sinceller Electric Opener
- 12. W-Dragon Electric Can Opener
- 13. YUCHEL Electric Can Opener
- Buyer’s Guide- What Factors to Consider?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Which is the Best?
Top Electric Can Openers for Arthritis – Comparison Table
We did extensive research and found some of the best electric can opener for arthritic hands. Check out our top picks so you can choose a can opener that’s right for you.
13 Best Electric Can Opener for Arthritis Reviewed
1. Cuisinart CCO-50BKN Deluxe
Combining power, style, and convenience, this electric can opener is made with arthritic people in mind. It features a precision power cut blade along with press-and-release lever for ease of opening any standard size can.
What’s more? The unit boasts an extra-wide base that is extremely sturdy to prevent any tipping or sliding. Also included is a removable activation lever that makes cleaning the device hassle-free.
- Operates through a single touch
- Backed by 3-year limited warranty
- Powered by Cuisinart’s quality motor system
- Includes an automatic magnetic lid holder
- Plastic activation lever is not very durable
2. Hamilton Beach 76606ZA Smooth Touch
Designed to cut cans along the sides, this Hamilton Beach electric can opener provides a mess-free and smooth cut. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about food splashing out from the top or even sharp edges along the lid.
However, what really makes it ideal for people with arthritis is its one-touch opening lever. This feature makes it easy to open cans with just one hand and with little grip strength.
- Stylish sleek chrome and black design
- Opens all regular and pop-top cans
- The motor does not need oiling
- Boasts an easy push-down lever
- Leaves smooth and touchable lids
- Leaves metal shavings after opening cans
3. Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener
The Kitchen Mama Electric opener is designed to let you open cans effortlessly at the press of a button. Basically, it cuts cans 360 degrees along the lid without leaving any sharp edges or even touching food inside.
And you know what the best part is? This best handheld electric can opener is battery operated which makes it even more efficient at what it does.
- Ergonomic and user-friendly design
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Super safe and easy to operate
- Leaves no sharp jagged edges
- Easy to clean
- Batteries are not included
4. Black+Decker Spacemaker CO100B
With this unit, you not only get a can opener but also a bottle opener, bag cutter, and knife sharpener. Therefore, compared to other products, it is quite versatile.
What’s more, it features a space-saving design to help you save on your countertop. All you need is to attach it to the underside of the cabinets for easy access. As a result, this makes it ideal for places where space is an issue.
- Auto shuts off when not in use
- GlideS through most cans in seconds
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sleek and compact design
- Swing open door for easy accessibility
- Only works under cabinets with “smooth or flat bottoms
5. Hamilton Beach 76388R Can Opener
Featuring an automatic shut-off, this device will turn off when not in use. Therefore, you really don’t have to worry about power switches.
But you know what the best part is? The unit utilizes Sure Cut patented technology that allows it to open cans on the first try. And thanks to this technology, it can open both extra-large and family size cans.
- Offers hands-free operation
- Easy to disassemble for dishwasher cleaning
- Includes a knife sharpener
- Extra-tall design for added stability
- Provides a clean cut
- Not heavyweight as the item description says
6. Oster 003147-000-000 003147-000-002 Can Opener
Boasting a contemporary and stylish design, this Oster can opener is sure to complement your countertop. Besides, it is equipped with a cord wrap-up for convenient storage.
As if that’s not enough, the unit is outfitted with a power pierce cutting blade that ensures precision cutting. As a result, it can open any sized cans effortlessly.
- Extra-firm grip and powerful magnet
- Opens any size can easily and safely
- High-quality built-in knife sharpener
- Easy to clean
- Very sleek and stylish
- It is a little bit loud
7. Yuchel Electric Can Opener
Here is yet another great electric can opener for people with arthritis or hand pain since it doesn’t need manual labor. Operated by two AA batteries, the device automatically opens most cans in seconds.
The best part? It cuts from the sides without leaving sharp jagged edges or touching the food. Best of all, you don’t have to worry about the lid falling into the can. As a result, this makes it very hygienic.
- Made of quality stainless steel, TPE, and ABS materials
- Low profile design for easy storage
- Hands-free opening
- Ergonomic and comfortable design
- Built-in magnet for added safety
- You need to buy the batteries separately
8. Bangrui Kitchen Automatic Can Opener
Constructed from solid alloy steel and ABS materials, this unit is made with durability in mind. On top of that, it includes wear-resistant accessories for long-lasting performance.
More importantly, the device utilizes an innovative technology that allows it to open cans safely by cutting the inner side of the lid. This ensures that the lid remains with smooth and perfectly sealed edges. As a result, you’ll be able to preserve your unfinished food.
- Comfortable for left and right-handed users
- Compact design
- Easy to clean with a damp cloth
- Opens cans with just a touch of a button
- Works with all regular sized cans
- The blade does not cut the can consistently
9. Cuisinart CCO-50N Deluxe
This is yet another great Cuisinart electric can opener that features a single-touch operation. As such, it makes opening any standard size can a breeze, especially for individuals with arthritis.
Additionally, it boasts a wide-base and solid construction for extra sturdiness when opening large cans. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about it tipping over or even sliding.
- Has elegant contours and chrome accents
- Precision power cut blade
- Easy to detach the parts for quick cleanups
- 3-year limited warranty
- Metal shavings may fall into the opened can
10. Kitchen Mama Mini Can Opener
Looking for a portable unit that you can bring along wherever you go? Well, this Kitchen Mama might just be what you need. It is easy to store inside your backpack or even in cramped kitchen drawers.
What’s more? The device is designed to open cans at the press of a button. All you need is to push the button to turn it on and push it again to turn it off.
- Cuts cans 360 degrees along the lid
- Easy to use by kids and adults of all ages
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Super safer and no sharp cuts
- Powered by two AA batteries
- It can be hard to turn it off
11. Kitchenmuh Sinceller Electric Opener
Powered by two pieces of AA batteries, this device uses very little energy. Therefore, it’s definitely energy efficient. The best part? It opens cans of any size effortlessly at the push of a button. You just need to adjust the opener to fit.
And like most openers, it boasts a compact design. As such, it’s sure to fit in your kitchen drawer for convenient storage.
- Utilizes hands-free technology
- No twisting or even pulling
- User-friendly design
- Powerful enough for factory-sealed jars
- Effortless to clean
- A little noisy in operation
12. W-Dragon Electric Can Opener
Here is another battery-operated, automatic can opener that claims to open cans in seconds from the W-Dragon brand. And according to the manufacturer, it can open any size cans, whether small, medium, or large.
But what stands out about this unit is its innovative side-cutting blade. The blade is designed to cut from the side of the can, thereby leaving no sharp edges.
- Easy to clean using a damp cloth
- Convenient to use and store
- Creates a smooth edge lid that can be resealed
- Small and light in weight
- Start/stop feature for hands-free opening
- Hard to open the battery compartment
13. YUCHEL Electric Can Opener
No list of the best electric can opener for arthritic hands would be complete without this unit from the YUCHEL brand. The device features a magnet to ensure the lid stays in place while opening the can for added convenience.
Similar to most electric can openers in this review, this unit leaves soft and smooth edges after cutting the lid open. As such, you can use the lid again to preserve the unfinished ingredients.
- Battery cover snaps off easily
- Starts and stops automatically with one-touch
- Easy to operate
- Small and ergonomic design
- Runs on two AA batteries
- Does not easily open all cans, even standard size
Buyer’s Guide- What Factors to Consider?
There are so many brands of electric can openers available on the market. However, some models are better than others. So, if you’re looking for the best can opener for individuals with arthritis, there are some things to take into consideration. These include:
Side-Cut vs. Top-Cut Operation
The majority of electric can openers boast side-cut operation. Basically, side-cut openers are designed to cut the side of the can’s top. As such, they tend to leave smooth and safe edges. This allows you to re-use the lid to cover the remaining food in the can.
Top-cut can openers, on the other hand, usually cut all the way around the lid’s edge. As a result, you may end up with jagged edges. This makes these types of can openers not safe for small kids.
Battery-operated or Plug-in
Battery-operated electric can openers come very handy when the power goes out. These units are also very portable. However, most of the units don’t come with batteries, so you’re required to buy them separately.
With plug-in units, they are always ready to use. Therefore, you will never have to worry about batteries draining too fast. This makes them very convenient to use.
Ease of Cleaning
Another factor worth considering is how easy the unit is to clean. Fortunately, most units can easily be disassembled for ease of cleaning. Some can openers, on the other hand, are dishwasher safe while others just need to be wiped with a damp cloth.
Additionally, you need to take into account what materials the can opener you intend to buy is made of. The materials the can opener is constructed from determines for how long the device will serve you.
Generally, most units are made of stainless steel, TPE, BPA-free, and ABS materials. However, for maximum durability, make sure the materials are of high quality.
But more importantly, don’t be tempted to buy units that are constructed from flimsy plastic materials just because they’re inexpensive
The base of the can opener is yet another important factor to consider. You need to choose a unit that has an extra-wide and sturdy base. This way, you won’t have to worry about the device tipping or sliding while opening cans.
Also worth considering is if the unit comes with a warranty. Some manufacturers do offer a warranty while others don’t. Generally, most brands provide at least one-year limited warranty while others up to three years.
However, some manufacturers require you to pay for the shipping charges. In this case, make sure the shipping costs are not more than the price of the device or even equal to.
Last but not least, be sure the unit has a good locking mechanism designed to grab the lid tightly. In most cases, you will find that the electric can opener comes with a strong magnet. This helps ensure the lid stays in place for added safety.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a quick look at some of the common questions people ask about the best electric can opener options for arthritis. Check them out.
Q: How long do electric can openers last?
A: It depends on the quality of the can opener. For units made of quality materials like stainless steel, they may last for up to three years without ever becoming dull.
Q: What are the best can openers that don’t leave sharp edges?
A: Any unit that is designed to cut on the side of the can does not leave sharp edges on the lid or the can.
Q: Can electric can openers be sharpened?
A: Yes, they can. You just run sandpaper with a good coarse grade through them several times and they will come out like new.
Q: How often should I wash a can opener?
A: It is advisable to clean after each use to prevent the risk of bacteria building upon the device.
Which is the Best?
In our opinion and based on customer reviews, the Cuisinart CCO-50BKN Deluxe is our top pick. The can opener operates with a single-touch for easy operation, thereby making it ideal for people with arthritis. On top of that, it cleans up effortlessly thanks to the detachable lever and can handle any standard size can.
A can opener is a must-have kitchen tool for every household. And if you have arthritis, then an electric unit is all you need. With the best electric can opener for arthritis, you can enjoy hands-free operation. Best of all, you get to keep your hands from hurting without sacrificing your cooking.